Due to popular demand, the Seattle Riichi Mahjong Club is holding the 2020 Seattle Riichi Open! And not in a location outside of the city, but inside the area that played host to the 1962 World’s Fair, the Seattle Center!
Here’s the nitty gritty:
- When: Saturday, February 22nd – Sunday, February 23rd
- Where: Seattle Center Armory, Loft #3
- How: By using this registration link!
- Cost: $80 for general public, $70 for Seattle Riichi Mahjong Club Tournament/Team Members
- Food?: There will be no catering this time around, but the Armory and the Seattle Center itself has many food options to choose from.
- The tournament will follow the current WRC ruleset and standards of conduct.
- We will be in a relatively public area, so while the consumption of alcoholic beverages outside of the tournament room may be allowed, consumption inside the tournament room or disruptive behavior deemed to be derived from consumption of such will not be tolerated.
- The tournament will consist of an 8 round qualifier and a 2 round playoff between the top 4 players.
- Each round is 75 minutes, at the conclusion of 75 minutes you are to complete the current hand.
- The current hand is considered to have started when there is a conclusion to the prior hand (ron, tsumo, ryuukoku/draw, chombo)
- If there is a chombo in the final hand of the round, one additional untimed hand will be played.
- The format for the qualifiers will depend on the number of players:
- If there are <48 players, the qualifier will be random for the first 6 rounds, then the final two rounds will be done using a modified swiss-system pairing.
- If there are >=48 players, the qualifier will be a modified swiss-system pairing for all 8 rounds.
- In either method we will try to avoid pairing you with members of your same club. However, this may not be avoidable.
- For the playoff table, scores will be reset and the combined result of the 2 rounds will determine the winner.
- For those missing the playoff, I will leave the option of what you could do to a majority vote in the tournament registration. Either you can continue playing for spots 5-X, or we can fix the results at that point and you are free to either play casually (quietly) or spectate the final table (quietly), or if you need to get a move-on to hit the road back to your home base.
- Friday, February 21
- 1800 – 2200 – Early Check-In (We may still be setting up)
- Saturday, February 22
- 0800 – 0900 – Check-in
- 0920 – Tournament Announcements
- 0930 – 1045 – Round 1
- 1115 – 1230 – Round 2
- 1230 – 1330 – Lunch
- 1330 – 1445 – Round 3
- 1515 – 1630 – Round 4
- 1700 – 1815 – Round 5
- ~1815 – 2200 – Free Play
- Sunday, February 23
- 0830 – 0945 – Round 6
- 1015 – 1130 – Round 7
- 1200 – 1315 – Round 8
- 1315 – 1415 – Lunch
- 1415 – 1530 – Finals Round 1
- 1600 – 1715 – Finals Round 2
- 1730 – Final Announcements
- 1800 – 2000 – Free Play / Tear-Down
A couple of other notes
- Unfortunately, due to gambling laws in the state, we are unable to give away prizes at the tournament.
- We are working on designing apparel for 2020. While still in the preliminary stages, we are looking at a black hoodie with our new logo on the back and “Est. 2009” embroidered on the front. We have a question on the registration form if you are interested in purchasing one (or multiple).